Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Princes' and Channel 4

I have worked in the world of the media for a few years now doing various jobs. On the whole I have really enjoyed working in the media, it has its ups and downs, but I am usually very proud of the media in the UK, but not today.
I am not a royalist in any way or form, as most of my friends know I really do think they are a complete waste of time and money. I will also defend everyone’s right to free speech and that right is paramount for free speach in News and Journalism in this amazing country of ours.

I have to say what Channel 4 are about to do today is totally wrong. Channel 4 are to show a documentary about the fatal car crash in which Diana Princess of Wales died, including pictures from the Paparazzi which were taken at the scene. The Princes William & Harry have asked for some respect and have asked for certain pictures of the car crash in which their mother is involved not be shown. Channel 4 have refused. I cannot believe Channel 4 can be so callous or so wrong on this; it is not News it is just digging up old ground and will not add anything apart from some distressing pictures. All that will do is upset two young men who have been through more than enough. William and Harry have every right to ask for this, as it is an invasion into Diana's and their privacy, and, as they have said, it will cause them great distress. Channel 4 have a code of taste and decency and above all a moral choice to William and Harry and their late mother also to the British public not to show these pictures.