Monday, August 20, 2007

My Fat, Mad Teanage Diary

I am a very blessed person to know my friends and colleagues, one of my friends and former colleagues is a really talent lady called Rae Earl. Rae was a writer when I was a producer in Nottingham she left to be a presenter on Radio, first in Derby and now in Leicester with her husband Kev they do a joint breakfast show. Well my very talented friend Rae has written a book!!! and it is dues for release any day now (Tuesday 21st August) here is a review and an EXTRACT IN THE GUARDIAN from the book ... in the Guardian magazine (Saturday 4th August).
Synopsis
It's 1989 and Rae is a fat, boy-mad 17-year-old girl, living in Stamford, Lincolnshire with her mum and their deaf white cat in a council house with a mint off-green bath suite and a larder Rae can't keep away from. This is the hilarious and touching real-life diary she kept during that fateful year -with characters likeher evil friend Bethany, Bethany's besotted boyfriend, and the boys from the grammar school up the road (who have code names like Haddock and Battered Sausage). My Fat, Mad Teenage Diary" evokes a vanished time when Charles and Di are still together, the Berlin wall is up, Kylie is expected to disappear from the charts at any moment and it's GBP1 for a Snakebite and Black in the Vaults pub. My Fat, Mad Teenage Diary" will appeal to anyone who's lived through the 1980s. But it will also strike a chord with anyone who's ever been a confused, lonely teenager who clashes with their mother, takes themselves VERY seriously and has no idea how hilarious they are.

I have been blessed or not to win a copy from Rae and a bottle of Champers (which will be drunk on The Robber Button). The reason I say I may not be blessed to win is because I entered a competition with an awful photo of myself so its a sort of back handed compliment. I am just so proud of Rae for using her talent and writing this amazing book. Long evenings on my boat reading books written by my friends...just perfect.